Martin Waxman is a social media, content marketing and communications strategist and teaches digital strategy at University of Toronto SCS. He’s also the co-founder of three PR agencies and president of Martin Waxman Communications.
Today on Digital Marketing Radio we discuss the following:
- What is New PR?
- How has content marketing changed over the past few years?
- What is the ‘zen’ of content marketing?
- Is there a difference between content marketing and new PR?
- How do you communicate effectively in a crisis?
- The United Breaks Guitars case study
- The importance of adopting the publishing mindset
- Why “do a news release” is the easy answer
- Why your posts have to really engage people on Facebook
- Why you need to start thinking of Facebook as a paid channel
- Why some PR agencies haven’t changed
- Why PRs need to become better visual story tellers
- Why community management is a fantastic model for PR
- You need to do ‘scripted improv’
- Why bloggers are their own form of media
- Why ‘beige’ companies may not have a future
- Why one or two ill-timed tweets can cause a crisis
As discussed – the “United Breaks Guitars” video
Software I couldn’t live without
What software do you currently use in your business that if someone took away from you, it would significantly impact your marketing success?
Evernote [Note taking app]
What software don’t you use, but you’ve heard good things about, and you’ve intended to try at some point in the near future?
Travel apps [Replacing guide books]
My number 1 takeaway
What’s the single most important step from our discussion that our listeners need to take away and implement in their businesses?
Never be complacent. We’ve learned in the past 5/8 years how much the world has changed, and how much it continues to change. Think of ourselves as scientists. Test things out and try to see what works then be prepared to adapt. Embrace the next great thing that comes along that helps us achieve our goals.