On this episode of Digital Marketing Radio we discuss the challenges of digital marketing at a large corporation, with topics including:
- Is it better to have a small budget, and be able to make decisions quickly, or have a larger budget, and having to spend more time justifying why you want to do things?
- What are the particular challenges that you face heading up the digital marketing department in a large organisation?
- How do you justify doing what you want to do if senior management don’t really ‘get’ digital marketing?
- What about SEO – how do you sell that internally?
- What are some of the more effective digital marketing activities for Pearson at the moment?
- I can see that 40,000 staff work for Pearson and that your main website doesn’t seem to focus on selling. How many websites do you have?
- How do you measure the ROI of brand marketing?
Software I couldn’t live without
What software do you currently use in your business that if someone took away from you, it would significantly impact your marketing success?
What software don’t you use, but you’ve heard good things about, and you’ve intended to try at some point in the near future?
Blab [Live streaming software]
Meerkat [Live streaming software]
Periscope [Live streaming software]
My number 1 takeaway
What’s the single most important step from our discussion that our listeners need to take away and implement in their businesses?
You need to focus most of your time on doing things that scale. If I had to say one thing, that’s really going to define your success in the digital marketing world, is to do that with your time. Spend the vast majority of your time doing things that are going to scale.