Today I’m joined by a man who has over 10 years’ experience in competitive SEO & content marketing verticals. He formed his own agency in 2012 and currently works with companies across Australia, Asia, Europe and the USA. Welcome to DMR, James Norquay. [You can find James over at ProsperityMedia.com.au.]
On this episode of Digital Marketing Radio we discuss how to acquire high quality links in 2017, with topics including:
- Why didn’t you use the term ‘build links’?
- Are links still absolutely critical to organic success in 2017?
- What are some examples of great links you can acquire in 2017?
- Is it wrong to buy links?
- Do you need to be building links all the time or can you stop after a while?
- Do nofollow links provide any value?
- What linking activities used to work, but no longer work in 2017?
- Are there linking activities that work in Google Australia but not in Google USA?
Software I couldn’t live without
What software do you currently use in your business that if someone took away from you, it would significantly impact your marketing success?
SEMRush [Keyword analysis]
Screaming Frog [Site audits]
Ahrefs [Link monitoring]
Tenon.io [Accessibility testing]
What software don’t you use, but you’ve heard good things about, and you’ve intended to try at some point in the near future?
Meltwater [PR tools]
My number 1 takeaway
What’s the single most important step from our discussion that our listeners need to take away and implement in their businesses?
You just want to focus on doing quality work because it’s like we say to clients – we do quality work, and we do the type of work that’s going to be here and still allowed in 5 to 10 years. Any type of work you do, you want to think about ‘how long is this strategy going to last’ and that’s why you want to think about high quality strategies that are going to last. Things haven’t really changed too much over the years, but the things is, ethical work has still stayed the same. Do things the right way. Don’t cut corners. Don’t do strategies where people say that this will get you ranking in 10 days. You really need to ask them how they are going to do that, because if they’re not telling you then they’re probably doing something that is not allowed and you’re going to end up with a manual penalty.