Today I’m joined by a man,whose agency helps B2B clients to generate leads through the power of pay per click advertising. He’s been involved with Google AdWords for over a decade and became a Certified Google Partner in 2012. Welcome to DMR, Glenn Schmelzle. [You can find Glenn over at MarketingWhatsNew.com]
On this episode of Digital Marketing Radio we discuss pay per click search for B2B, with topics including:
- Is Google AdWords still very effective for B2B?
- How has the way that you use Google AdWords changed over the years?
- If you’re not trying to make a direct sale as a result of the traffic that you drive from your pay per click campaigns, how can you measure the effectiveness of it?
- What kind of landing page and call-to-action are you favouring at the moment?
- Do you also advise your clients on how to nurture their leads?
- Have some categories of keyword phrases not become unaffordable for certain industries on Google?
- Are there other up-and-coming advertising networks apart from Google that are starting to be effective for B2B?
- If a marketer is taking over a pre-existing PPC campaign, how would you suggest they prioritise their work?
Software I couldn’t live without
What software do you currently use in your business that if someone took away from you, it would significantly impact your marketing success?
Google Keep [Keep track of notes and thoughts]
What software don’t you use, but you’ve heard good things about, and you’ve intended to try at some point in the near future?
SEMRush [Competitive data for digital marketing professionals]
My number 1 takeaway
What’s the single most important step from our discussion that our listeners need to take away and implement in their businesses?
The fact that we have used words in marketing like a campaign has done a disservice to the way that we need to approach how we generate interest and leads online. This isn’t a single sprint, it’s a marathon. the benefit is, the more consistent you are, and the further you move up the maturity stages, and how you are running your pay-per-click and what kind of content you’re putting in front of your audience – those benefits will pay off perpetually in terms of better conversions, more quality conversions and more cost effective conversions. So I would encourage people to take a long-term mentality with this. They will eventually get there. And they need to be deliberate in how they structure their marketing programme. It’s like Rome, you won’t build it in a day. I look at it more like an engineering enterprise. The Romans gave us engineers. The engineering approach to lead generation is the best way to win the war, and win the day ultimately.