Today I’m joined by a man who after college went off to work for Arthur Anderson – but quickly realised that the big-5 consultancy life wasn’t for him. So he pivoted, and started a digital agency that quickly grew to a multi-million dollar operation. And then after 12 years, sold it. And now he’s helping other digital agency owners to do the same. Welcome to DMR, Jason Swenk. [You can find Jason over at JasonSwenk.com.]
On this episode of Digital Marketing Radio we discuss how to start, scale, and sell a digital agency, with topics including:
- Why did you decide to start a digital agency to begin with?
- What are a few of the mistakes that you see people making when they start their own agency?
- Are the challenges now completely different to the challenges when you got started?
- Do you find that a lot of agencies just get to a certain size and then just stagnate?
- What are the main things that an agency owner needs to be doing to grow the agency fast?
- How do you position your agency so that somebody want to buy it?
- Are there still opportunities to start an agency in 2016?
- Should an agency that gets started now be very niche in terms of its services and target market?
Software I couldn’t live without
What software do you currently use in your business that if someone took away from you, it would significantly impact your marketing success?
Infusionsoft [Marketing automation software]
What software don’t you use, but you’ve heard good things about, and you’ve intended to try at some point in the near future?
My number 1 takeaway
What’s the single most important step from our discussion that our listeners need to take away and implement in their businesses?
Action. One word. Take action. And that’s it. So many of us listen to podcasts, read books, go to courses. But never take action. The things that separates everyone is just taking action, not being afraid to fail, learning from failures and executing.